Creator: Hudson Taylor
Publisher: Murphys Magic
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: Intermediate to advanced
DVD Run time: 3 hours 17 minutes
Type of effect: Magic DVD of tricks and sleights
Manufacturer's Write Up:
Any Card At Any Number has been a visceral weapon in any card-man's pocket for decades. Hudson Taylor approached Murphy's Magic with a new angle on this plot that pretty much stunned our team. To let the spectator (or spectators) have the final shuffle of the deck is just unheard of, until now.
Hudson is ready to share this gift with you now as you prepare to take your ACAAN from good to legendary.
How accurate is the ad copy? No deception
What's in the box? DVD only
How are the production values: Chris Oberle and a few other people from Murphy's sitting around the table watching Hudson perform these effects - everything is well mic'd, with comfortable non distracting sets. Hudson takes you into a different room to do the explanations - you get two primary camera shots. This is a well produced DVD.
The Menus are nice as well, everything is neatly grouped and labeled.
Is it well taught: Here are the tricks you learn
- A CANteloupe - A hands off AACAN like no other that is heavily spectator involved. Let them do the magic!
- A CANteloupe (30% legend version) - Great for magicians. Just like the performance above, but the spectator does the final shuffle. A real killer.
- 12 Degrees of Empathy - A 'you do as I do' routine that turns the spectator into a telepathic casino dealer.
- Get Into It - Two spectators each other's cards while the magician sits back with a grin.
- Finnel Finders - Multiple spectators. Multiple cards. You spectators turn chaos into beautiful order.
Bonus Sleights & Controls:
- Drop Shift - Controlling a card to the bottom by simply spreading.
- Center Shift - Exact a card from middle to top, invisibly.
- Shovel Control - Skillfully control selection to bottom by dribbling cards.
- In the hands shovel control - Same as shovel but no table required.
- Parifax change - Similar to the Eardnase change, this color change on the top of the deck.
- Mechanical pop out - Utilizing a mechanical second deal to pop a card out of the deck.
My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): Hudson is a good teacher, he gives plenty of credit and source for his inspiration.
Does it "play big?" many of these tricks seem to work best in a party or dinner atmosphere like Hudson teaches them. Several of them rely on multiple spectators.
Difficulty / Skill level required: this is intermediate to advanced magic. For many of these tricks you will need to be able to perform a perfect faro - (which Hudson does teach) also these tricks typically involve deck stacks, sleights and mathematical principles.
How much arts and crafts are involved? zero
How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Absolutely and Hudson does teach several impromptu versions of these effects.
Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.
X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion
This is a great DVD and Hudson and the gang from Murphy's are enjoyable to watch.
+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEQ1FHxzdSA